Here’s a list of dating safety tips that I have gathered over the last few months from various sources:
1. Let a new Sweetie know up front that you want to meet their family, friends and co-workers. If he/she resists making that happen, you need to suspect that he/she may not be telling you the truth. Like he/she may be married or unemployed.
2. Watch out for vagueness or secretiveness about basic information. If your date is being honest with you, they should easily answer questions about their lives. This goes particularly for men, who don’t have the same safety concerns as women do. Honest men will usually tell you what you want to know.
3. Check to see if your online Sweetie may have other profiles posted, either on the same website or others, with different ages, pictures and information, designed to attract different types of people. Interesting they words they use in their profiles may be helpful, like “kayak.” Do a search using those words and see what comes up.
4. Don’t forget to Google your date. You’ll have to have his/her full name to do so, and be aware that others may have the same name.
5. You may want to think about getting a web cam, and asking potential dates to do the same. If they are reluctant to show you their real time face, there may be a good reason.
6. Tell the truth. Your attitude will encourage others to do so, and we all have to play our part in making the Net safe and trustworthy. But be aware that YOU DO NOT KNOW THIS OTHER PERSON, regardless of how much intimacy you seem to have built up. Even if you are squeaky clean honest, they may be lying through their keyboards. Have some healthy skepticism.